31st May 1981
Both Peter and David had worked together in a Coffee Bar outreach in the 70’s and went on to become Community Church Elders.
The decision was made to begin meeting in the Community Centre under the new name of Hexham Community Church.
Around this period the book “Cells for Life” by Ron Trudinger of Basingstoke Community Church, became our manual for how to do church and we looked to develop House groups.
Evangelism was a high priority and we used a mixture of:
- Invitations to City Hall, YFC events.
- Bringing guest speakers to Hexham like Colin Urqhart and Bob Gordon.
- Personal evangelism, inviting friends and family to church socials and services.
- Leaflet dropping to promote events.
- Street witnessing with singing, drama, preaching, giving out tracts and talking to people
Numerous people came and went as we established our identity and Alf took us from being a group of “Holy Spirit filled Christians”, to gaining respect in the local Christian community and becoming part of Churches Together. During this period we drew heavily on the resources of Restoration Ministries (Bradford) and Vineyard.
We opened and closed a youth coffee bar called ‘The Zone’, and experimented with music concerts as outreach events. Alpha became established as a useful tool and we began to link in with Salt & Light Ministries.